Frequently Asked Questions
Which insurance carriers are accepted?
Please be aware that many insurance websites are NOT updated in real time. Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine has made recent changes reflecting their participation status.
If your insurance company is not on the list provided on our website, please call to verify.
- McLaren Health Advantage
- Priority Health (Spine and Back requires appropriate authorization)
- Medicare Advantage Products
- Michigan Medicaid
- Michigan Medicaid HMO’s
- Tribal Insurance (with appropriate authorization)
- Workers Compensation
(Effective March 23, 2018 we no long participate with Cofinity)
Where will my surgery take place?
Surgeries are preformed by a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon, often with a second orthopaedic surgeon or orthopaedic physician assistant (PA) assisting in the procedure and post-operative care.
Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine partners with regional hospitals and specialty suites including:
- PETOSKEY – McLaren Northern Michigan-Petoskey Campus
- BOYNE CITY – Northern Michigan Surgical Suites
- CHARLEVOIX – Munson Charlevoix Hospital
- CHEBOYGAN – McLaren Northern Michigan-Cheboygan Campus
- GAYLORD – Otsego Memorial Hospital
- ST. IGNACE – Mackinac Straits Health System
Who do I contact with a non-urgent medical question?
A Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine triage nurse is available during office hours to address non-emergency medical concerns. Please call 231.347.5155 to leave a detailed message, and the nurse will contact you in the order that your request was received.
What should I do if I have an urgent concern after hours?
Call 231.487.4000 and ask to speak with a Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine “On Call” provider. Someone will contact you directly.
What are non-surgical treatment options?
Treatments include medications, injection therapy, activity modification, and immobilization.
What do I do in an emergency?
Call 9-1-1 in emergency situations.
If you are taken to a hospital, please inform the Emergency Department (ED) personnel with the name of your Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine surgeon. Your surgeon and the ER staff will determine the best treatment and follow-up care. Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine providers are on staff at:
- McLaren Northern Michigan-Petoskey Campus
- Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital
- McLaren Northern Michigan-Cheboygan Campus
- Mackinac Straits Health System
What about co-pays and deductibles?
Co-pays and deductibles are due at the time services are rendered. Non-insured patients are offered a 10% discount for a full payment at the time services are rendered.
What about payment for services?
The patient is responsible for payment regarding medical services rendered including automotive, Workmen’s Compensation and liability claims.
To better assist you, please provide us with:
- Insurance Carrier Name and Address
- Insurance Adjustor’s Name and Address
- Valid Claim Number
It is the Bay Street Orthopaedics & Spine policy to only bill insurance carriers or the patient. Claims denied become the patient’s financial responsibility.